Home adaptations

Adaptations are changes to your home that help you and your family live independently with privacy, confidence and dignity.

Your responsibilities

It is important you understand the adaptation(s) you need and the arrangements being put in place for you.

If you want to discuss these at any time please do not hesitate to contact your named occupational therapist or other personnel involved, for example, care and repair, housing officer, housing association staff.

You must keep us informed of any changes in your circumstances that may affect the adaptation(s) being considered for you.

Contractors and other personnel will need to visit you, so it is important that you allow these workers into your home. ALWAYS ask to see the caller’s identification before allowing them into your home.

You must agree to use your adaptation as instructed to ensure it remains in safe working order. If you are a council tenant visit our information on reporting a maintenance issue visit our request a council house repair page to report a maintenance issue.

If you are a tenant, it is important to note that consent from your landlord must be in place before any works can begin. If any work is carried out privately in your property without consent from your landlord, you may be asked to return the property to how it was when you accepted it.

If you are an owner-occupier/ private tenant you also need to:

  • agree to meet the costs that you have been informed of (if applicable)
  • comply with the conditions of grant (which are explained in the grant application form)
  • agree to arrange and meet the costs of any required servicing and insurance cover (if applicable)
  • supervise the completion of the works and raise any concerns or issues with care and repair r or the quantity surveyor